Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #802

You all know that they are GOLFs in Europe. Rabbit is the US name.
The first Golf convertible made its public debut at the 1979 Geneva
show. The prototype was built three years earlier (1976). I think it was
1985 that they changed the badge to "Golf  Cabriolet" in Europe.  In the US
the A2 was known as the Golf and the A1 was known as the Rabbit.
In 1985 when the Golf name was used for the A2 the Rabbit name was still
used for the older convertible. VW did not want to confuse the market and
call the convertible a "Golf" in the US. So they just called it a
Cabriolet.
I think it was 1985  that the name was changed in the US.
This is just a BADGE so I donít think too much about the time that it was
changed.
You will note that the badge font was changed on all the cars in the early
to mid 80's.
The bumpers and body kit were a much bigger change on the convertible
IMOHO.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red MK1 Scirocco "S"

Message text written by Jim Jarrett
>> 1975...must be a typo..The cabbys first year was 80

No. NO.  The first year for the Cabriolet was 1985 (possibly late 1984).

The first year for the RABBIT CONVERTIBLE was '80.  The Convertibles were
all badged as Rabbits until '85 (or late '84?). Then they became the
Cabriolet.

I know.  I had an '84 RABBIT CONVERTIBLE and now have an '81 RABBIT
CONVERTIBLE.
<

- --