Re: cv compatibility

Yeah.. that's why I said all 8v A1's : ) I dunno nothin' about 16v's.
    -Josiah

Brian Honnold wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 15, 1998 2:35 PM, Wm. Josiah Erikson
> [SMTP:josiah@gsinet.net] wrote:
> > Taking a CV shaft out, replacing the outer CV joint and putting it back
> in
> > takes me about an hour and a half, maximum, but maybe I'm special. The
> outer
> > CV's I can get for like $35, I bet you can too.
> > Or, if you really want a whole used assembly, I'll sell you one. I'd need
> > know if you have 100mm or 90mm output shafts on your tranny, though.
> > BTW,
> > AFAIK, all VW outer CV joints are the same. Fox, Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta,
> Golf,
> > etc. I think even Quantums have the same outer CV joint. The axle shafts
> are
> > all different, and there is some variation in the inner CV's as well, but
> the
> > outers should be the same.
> > If you're looking to replace a whole axle shaft with a used one, you can
> take
> > one from any 8v A1 chassis car, as long as you get the same side and you
> match
> > up the inner joint size. There are two sizes- 100mm ('85 and later, I
> think,
> > but I'm not sure) and 90mm. Perhaps the sportier VW's got the bigger
> output
> > flanges? I dunno...
> >     HTH!
> >     -Josiah
>
> Um,  don't know how relevant this is but when I upgraded my 78 to the 16V
> front brakes/steering knuckles I found that I had also had to use the 16V
> driveshafts.   The 78 outboard cw was binding up in the bearing so I think
> that the early outboard CVs are larger than the newer ones.
>
> .02
>
> Brian Honnold
> '78 Rocco Ragtop

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --