Re: Steam Cleaning

If your catalytic converter is rattling, then that's a problem. The stuff
inside it has come apart and may be blocking up your exhaust system. If this
gets bad enough, your car will refuse to run at all (I had it happen once). Get
a new cat or take it off, get the stuff out of it and put it back on if you
don't have to worry about emissions. Trouble is, in the process of taking it
off you will probably ruin the flanges and have to get a new one anyway, as
well as, possibly, a new downpipe and midpipe. Depends how old your car is.
Good luck!
    -Josiah

David McGowan wrote:

>     I have an 80 rocco , that had the dirties engine and tranny that you
> have ever seen. it took three cans of the "20% more Gunk " cleaner to
> make a small dent iun the grime. Any way i had the thing steam cleaned.
> its nice and clean now .. But ...
>
> 1rst     the car is very rough in the low end , between idle , and about
> 3000 rpm. the exceleration sucks , and the whole car vibrates when in
> the lower rpm's. but it will idle ...
>     Now i have checked the air filter , it is dry. i have checked the
> distributer cap , its dry inside. One of the plug wires had water in it
> but i cleaned it out. i checked all vacume hoses. i cleaned all the
> sprak plugs with a wire wheel.
>
> 2nd.    The catalitic converter "rattles" when in the low rpms. it seems
> like maybe there is somthing bouncing around inside. But i dont see how
> that would of been caused by the steam cleaning ...
>
> thanks in advance
> Dave
> 80 scirocco.

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --