Re: cv compatibility

Taking a CV shaft out, replacing the outer CV joint and putting it back in
takes me about an hour and a half, maximum, but maybe I'm special. The outer
CV's I can get for like $35, I bet you can too.
Or, if you really want a whole used assembly, I'll sell you one. I'd need to
know if you have 100mm or 90mm output shafts on your tranny, though.
BTW,
AFAIK, all VW outer CV joints are the same. Fox, Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta, Golf,
etc. I think even Quantums have the same outer CV joint. The axle shafts are
all different, and there is some variation in the inner CV's as well, but the
outers should be the same.
If you're looking to replace a whole axle shaft with a used one, you can take
one from any 8v A1 chassis car, as long as you get the same side and you match
up the inner joint size. There are two sizes- 100mm ('85 and later, I think,
but I'm not sure) and 90mm. Perhaps the sportier VW's got the bigger output
flanges? I dunno...
    HTH!
    -Josiah

Daniel A. Nowlan wrote:

> I have been clicking on the right side for about 2 months, and I've decided
> to break down and do something about it finally now that it's cooled off a
> bit.  However, since my Rocco is my daily driver, I can't really have any
> down time.  Unfortunately, it's hard to rebuild the CV when it's still on
> my car.  What other VW CV's are the same as the one for my '86 8v?  I ask
> b/c I'm having a bit of a tough time finding an easy-to-get-to CV from a
> Scirocco at the boneyard.  Are any of the 16v the same?  What about the
> Jetta, Golf, etc?  Thanks.
>
> Dan
> '86 8v red martian (for now)
>
>   mailto:nowlan@flash.net
>   http://www.flash.net/~nowlan/

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --