shift linkage takes dump!

Went to leave the office today, and find that I have nothing but 3rd & 4th
gear to get my ass home (25 miles)!!  Something busted in the linkage, I can
swing the sucker back and forth about a mile, but no matter where I push
forward, I've got nothing but 3rd, back gives nothing but 4th.. no reverse
either.... :0

I limped home and I'll get it over to VW Specialties tomorrow.  I had already
bought all the parts for a full linkage rebuild from Potter, so I'll have it
fixed and "fixed" at the same time.  My speedo took a crap a couple of weeks
ago so I'll get that fixed too.. along with the backup lights.

I somehow get the feeling that this is a common problem.. is it very serious?
Or a relatively simple (read: inexpensive) repair??

- --
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0