Re: shift linkage takes dump!

> Went to leave the office today, and find that I have nothing but 3rd & 4th
> gear to get my ass home (25 miles)!!  Something busted in the linkage, I can
> swing the sucker back and forth about a mile, but no matter where I push
> forward, I've got nothing but 3rd, back gives nothing but 4th.. no reverse
> either.... :0

Been there.  I did it on a 1980 Scirocco 'S', I was playing around one day
trying to rev match and shifting without the clutch on my way to work.  On
the way home, I got the very same nasty suprise you did.  Un-nerving ain't it,
to lose most of your gears in the middle of passing maneuver.  Anyway, I
checked around under the hood, and I had broken open one of the short linkage
rod ends (the plastic ball).  I manually put the car in second (easier to
start in) and drove to a yard where I snagged the piece from an 84 GTI.
Snapped it back on, and ripped home.  Happy ending, eh? :)

> I somehow get the feeling that this is a common problem.. is it very serious?
> Or a relatively simple (read: inexpensive) repair??

Cost me like $5.  Depending on where it broke on you, you could probably get
this piece from _any_ VW with an 020 5 speed tranny.

> --
> Kevin Collins

==Brett
- --