valve cover gasket

Does anyone have any tips for getting my valve cover gasket to seal?
I've just replaced it and tightened the nuts down further but I'm still
getting that oh so delicious smell of burning oil off of my exhaust
manifold.

Also, clues, research, hints into that seat question; how to repair,
short of buying a new seat, the seat back angle adjustment knob?   It's
not the plastic on the knob, it's the actual mechanism to keep you from
flopping into the back seat.

- --