Fuel Pump/Tick/Road Trip

	 Two weeks ago I took my intrepid 88 16v out
here to school on Colorado (from 'home' in CT), documenting the
trip to share with you guys. Ill let you know when I get it all up.
This very same trip, however, seems to have caused me some problems. Aside
from a dead alternator (somewhere in NY), my car ran well all the way out
here. I apologize for the rather non-technical description of the
problems. When you turn the key to the 'on' position (not start), the car
always made a 'hum' sound for a few seconds, and was then silent. On this
particular day, the 'hum' escalated into an much higher pitched squeal
upon ignition, and didn't stop. I made it almost all the way home (car
running fine with the exception of the disconserting hum at low rpms), and
it stalled. I got it started back up, revved it, and it stalled again. Two
more times, and I pushed it the rest of the way home. Car sits for two
days, and starts fine, idles fine ( didnt drive anywhere.. I dont
like pushing it home :) I'm guessing this may be the fuel pump (or fuel
transfer pump), but I dont know. Any thoughts?
	One more annoying problem that developed about a month before the
trip. When cold, the engine ticks loudly. I really don't know what causes
a tick, but after running for a few minutes, it goes away and I dont have
to worry about it again until its cold. Ignoring this problem hasnt made
it go away (unlike *most* of my problems :) Thanks for any opinions!

Chris Bodenlos
'88 16v

- --