OXS light and funny idle

Got a small issue.

The OXS light came on a little while ago.  I checked the manual and since it said the light just came on every 30,000 miles I haven't bothered with it.  I will hit the button to reset it soon.

BUT, right before the light came on I started having idle problems.  This only occurs when I start the car up.  I start it (starts fine) and it idles erratically and will very often the engine will shut off if I don't give it some gas and keep rpms at 1000-12000 rpm.  Once the car has warmed up (1-2 minutes or so) it idles fine (1,000 rpm) and car runs great.  This happens even when I start the car and the engine is still warm.

I haven't given it too much attention b/c the car still runs fine, but it is annoying and I would like to fix it.  I have a 1984 8v.

Is the OXS sensor bad?  Can it be something else?

Thanks

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DIO/RRS