S, GTX, GT1, GT2 ... ?

The Scirocco S (AFAIK) was a U.S. only model designation. The Scirocco S
was available in the U.S. in 1980 & 1981, making it a MK1 only model. An
identical appearance package was also available as an appearance package
in 1979 (the Scirocco 5spd)(I have a review of this special 1979 model),
some have said there was a Scirocco S in 1979, altough I have never seen
one. The S model came with the Zender front air dam, upgraded recaro
style seats, blacked out chrome, red emblems and red stripes on the
bumpers and side moldings. Mechanically, they were identical to other
models of the same year.

If you have a MK1, (you are in the U.S., right?) you either have a
Scirocco, or a Scirocco S.

There were lots of other Scirocco 1 (mk1) models in Europe, including but
not limited to the Scirocco GTi (110hp) and Scirocco GT.

In the U.S., AFAIK, there were the following models:

Scirocco(badge w/"fuel injected")
Scirocco (plain badge)
Scirocco (wolfsburg edition) basically an appearance / trim pkg)
Scirocco 16V (speaks for itself)
I seem to recall seeing a Scirocco GL Mk2 badge, but can't be sure - if
so, another trim package level for U.S.

GTX, GT1, GT2 are european model designations. These were never available
in the U.S. The following is a list of European models that Doug Teulie
posted a while back:

Scirocco 2 L 1.3 1981-1982
Scirocco 2 GL 1.3 1981-1984
Scirocco 2 LS 1.5 1981-1982
Scirocco 2 LS 1.6 1981-1982
Scirocco 2 CL 1.3 1982-1985
Scirocco 2 CL 1.5 1982-1983
Scirocco 2 CL 1.6 1982-1985
Scirocco 2 CL 1.8 1984-1985
Scirocco 2 CL 1.8 US NORM
Scirocco 2 GL 1.5 1981-1983
Scirocco 2 GL 1.6 1981-1985
Scirocco 2 GL 1.8 1984-1985
Scirocco 2 GT 1.8 US NORM
Scirocco 2 GT 1.3 1983-1984
Scirocco 2 GT 1.5 1981-1983
Scirocco 2 GT 1.6 1981-1988
Scirocco 2 GT 1.8 1984-1989
Scirocco 2 GT II 1.8 1989-1992
Scirocco 2 GT16v 1.8 1985-1988
Scirocco 2 GTL 1.6 1985-1987
Scirocco 2 GTL 1.8 1985-1987
Scirocco 2 GTi 1.6 1981-1982
Scirocco 2 GTi 1.8 1982-1984
Scirocco 2 GLi 1.6 1981-1982
Scirocco 2 GLi 1.8 1982-1984
Scirocco 2 16v 1.8 1984-1985
Scirocco 2 GTX 1.6 1984-1986
Scirocco 2 GTX 1.8 1984-1988
Scirocco 2 GTX 16v 1.8 1985-1988
Scirocco 2 16v 1.8 US NORM
Scirocco 2 Scala 1.8 1989-1992
Scirocco 2 WHT Cat
Scirocco 2 Storm (UK)
Scirocco 2 Wolfsburg Add.

Hope this helps!
(I think the years actually refer to year produced, not model year, as
the MK2 was a 1982 Model year intro)

Mark . . .
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Scirocco 1978 (Kristen's)
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
- --------- Begin forwarded message ----------