tranny problem solved

Well, you damned bunch of show-offs, my tranny problem is fixed.  And, yes,
it did indeed turn out to be the linkage.  But I was right in that those
little ball and sockets were still together properly.  It turned out that
another little "ball" that sits inside a U-shaped bracket and that's held
on by a nut just simply fell off (or snapped off cuz the nut was actually
still on the shaft).  I also annihilated the rear motor mount.  With both
problems fixed, the car drives a lot better.  Go figure.  Anyway, thanks to
everyone who responded to my posts.  :)

Dan
'86 8v red martian

  mailto:nowlan@flash.net