Three News Articles about the Scirocco

Folks:
I have three newspaper articles about the Scirocco which might be of
interest to the people that read list.  If there is someone who really
really wants these, or if there is a list guru that might want to post
them in full, I will mail them to the first person that responds to me,
if you send me a snail mail address. But I will summarize them here.

The first is an article in the Scottish Daily Record, July 10, 1998,
page 27 Road Section.  Used Car Market - the VW Scirocco, by Russell
Bray.  The article starts with a history of the car and calls it a
future classic, saying that most examples do not seem to be thrashed
into the ground like GTIs.  Says that there is little difference between
early and late cars other than manufacturing improvements later on.  He
says to watch for corrosion, signs of accident repair.  He says camshaft
wear will make itself known by ticking eventually.  Oil leaks.  Look for
a very dirty engine, even though might not be more than a cylinder head
gasket.  And oil can leak into the alternator, giving electrical
problems.  Overheating may be a problem, but that could be as simple as
a faulty thermostat or a fan failing to work.  Gearchange usually slick,
so if it balks, linkage needs adjusting, normally fiddly rather than
serious.  Clutch problems are expensive to fix.  Poor braking,
especially on older cars used in bad winters, could mean nothing more
than rust on the front disks.  Sticking calipers are the other main
cause, which will need a mechanic.  Replacement parts are available
because of commonality with the Golf, etc.  Then the article talks about
the prices for different years, different conditions, and mileage.  Best
type:  fuel injected Scala i H-registered 1991 or 1992  [that registered
type must be a british thing.)

The second is an article called *Restoration not always a wise
solution*, by Al Haas, Philadelphia Inquirer, August 22, 1997, Page
D11.  He says it is a good car but if a 1986 is out of alignment with a
problem powertrain, it would require serious bucks to get it working and
even then all you would have would be a 12 year old car with a puny 90
hp engine, imperfect rear alignment, lots of high mileage engine parts
and suspension parts, and worn body and interior.  he recommends buying
a more recent, lower mileage Jetta.

The third is a letter to the editor about various sources for
performance VW parts in England, printed in the Daily Telegraph, August
9, 1997 on page 20.  They talk about TSR Performance of Bridgwater,
Somerset, telephone 01278 453036, which has a catalogue.  TSR also has a
restoration service for MK1s, not cheap but top notch.  Also:  German
Car Company, telephone 01702 530440, which also has catalogue.  Also:
Euro Car Parts 0181 956 5000.  Also German & Swedish 0181 893 1688.
They probably have catalogues also.  Check with your operator for the
prefix codes if you need to reach these Companies in England.

Mike Ravnitzky
mikerav@ix.netcom.com
St. Paul, Minn.
- --