Re: [tech] door handles

In a message dated 10/28/98 8:01:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
scirocco@ontis.com writes:

>  i just bought the two plastic grommets that go between the door handle
>  and the door skin. can anyone tell me how to take the handle off to put
>  these behind it? my Bentley manual is still packed, and the wife doesn't
>  know which one of the 100's it is. anyone??
>
>  TIA

Most handles are held on w/ two screws, ( Early Models );

1. Gently pry off the thin strip covering on the handle face. Unscrew screw
One.

2. Open door and remove screw Two.

3. Slide handle horizontally and it should slip free.

Note, these two screws are two different sizes, I seem to remember.

Question, Have you considered replacing them with some Armor Door Guards? The
are made from some kind of near indestructible metal and keep most pry-in
break ins from happening.

I have some my self and am just waiting on a paint detail job and a re-keying
of some black replacement handles before I install them.

Off the top I don't have the URL but they advertise in EC mag.

Check it out,
TBerk
- --