Re: [debate][140hp JH?]

>No, thats impossible, In the 70's they changed horsepower rating from GROSS
>(crank hp, with no accessorys) to NET HP, which i thought was hp at the
>wheels. when VW claims 90hp, it has to be NET horsepower according to law.

Net HP is not the same thing as road, or wheel, HP.  Net HP is horsepower
measured on an engine dyno with all stock factory peripherals in place and
functional, i.e. catalytic convertors, EGR, air pump, stock intake and
exhaust manifolds, etc.  Gross HP would be a measurement of the same engine
with free flowing intake and exhaust and possibly other things tweaked.
Mostly the gross HP rating was Detroit marketing at it's finest.  I mean,
which is more impressive, a '63 fuelie 327 'Vette making 375 GROSS HP, or
the same car making probably 275 NET HP?

>Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S -- Now with JH power!
>      San Diego, CA
>"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
>with ten fingers and ten toes."

Good sig. file, man!

Aaron
'79 Scirocco S - FOR SALE (in Dallas, Texas)
'93 Corrado SLC

- --