Fuel Pump Relay

Does anyone know of any decent wiring diagrams on the net which show the
circuit between the fuel pump relay and the MFA/console as the Haynes
manual isn't too clear.
My problem is that the fuel pump relay doesn't come on and the problem
seems to be with the part of the circuit that switches the power to the
relay solenoid.  I've bypassed the problem by bridging the solenoid
circuit in the relay so it is switched on by the  ignition switched
supply to the relay.
I've tried another working relay with the same results.
I think the circuit to the coil is OK but I don't know what the
connection to the console does.
I Don't know if there is any connection, but the MPG readout on the MFA
shoots up to 99.9 within a mile or two.  All the others readouts are OK.
FYI, it's a 1985 euro model - I don;'t know if the wiring is any
different on the U.S. models.

This one's been pissing me off for ages, so any help would be well
appreciated.

Cheers,

Ewan.
'85 2.0 Storm