Re: Help me double check my Eng. swap to do list, Pls

When I did my engine swap(84 GTI into 81 Scirocco :), I had hoped to take
the weekend +  friday after school, and I worked hard on it. but I wasn't
able to finish it until tuesday night. It took a total of 30 hours. A lot
of stupid little problems that had be running back and forth to the parts
stores and junkyards.

I would actually pull the head off the new engine to check the condition of
the valves and pistons. At LEAST to clean off the carbon build up. How many
miles on it? you wouldn't belive how much crusty carbon can get in there
and cause detonation. Also you should turn the cam and see it the valves
are straight. On my 1.7, 2 of the valves would go crooked when they were
opened, and 2 had cracked heads! Also so you can check the piston/wall
clearance.
The head is easy to get back on, all you need is a head gasket(10 bucks)
and head bolts (A MUST, $1-2 each).
It's good piece of mind. Remeber you need a new upper radiator hose(the
water neck moves on the new engine), And I  would get a 210mm clutch w/ 16v
pressure plate. I love mine!
I dont know if the 190mm would've held my newfound power.

Well, I have a stripped oil pan bolt now (the aluminum rear seal carrier
next to the tranny) so in a few weeks I have to drop the damn tranny to fix
this stripped bolt to fix the leak. it never ends.