Re: Help me double check my Eng. swap to do list, Pls

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 03:28:40 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:

>Hi people,

Hi person!

>1. Replace the tranny seals, refill with Redline.

What about a brand spanking new clutch? Seems appropriate to me!

>2. Pull the pan and clean out the sludge.

Dont forget to install a new pan gasket. huh-huh. Yah, that would like,
suck.
Why not replace the rod bearings? Might as well since its going to be out
of the car AND the pan will be off. Its a 30 minute job.

>3. Replace water pump as needed, Oil pump almost automatically.
>4. Replace Eng. mounts, all.

What about a new timing belt? Seems appropriate to me!

>I'd just as soon not crack the head to block seal unless there is some
>compelling reason. Any?

Not unlss you were going to drop the pistons and re-ring them. (Hone the
cylinders.) Or maybe put in a VW motorsports head gasket. Or maybe get a
valve job. Or maybe port the head. Or maybe to polish the head. Or maybe
to install new pistons with gapless rings.

>Suspension is tolerable for the moment, any must dos?

Naw, nothing is easier on the suspension with the motor out. Check the
condition of the steering rack boots. They are easier to replace at this
point but thats additional work.

>Phase Two is, over the course of a single weekend (right?), yank the GTI
1.8
>and drop it into the Scirocco. I have an A-Frame & second and third pair
of
>hands as necessary, Is this a probable timeframe? Can I reasonably pull
and
>reinstall a long block into an empty engine bay in two days? (of course
>can.)

Sure you can. To make the job faster, when you get home on friday, start
the stripping proccess of your Roc. Remove hood, start disconecting
wiring, get the injectors out, break the torque on the engine/tranny
bolts. Stuff like that. Do you already have the 1.8L out f the GTi? Why
not have it out and working on it this week? Get it all finished before
next weekend so you will be that much farther down the road. Makes for a
shorter weekend. :)

GL! I wish I could come up and help but I gotta race next sunday! :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and