Is this List a reflection of state of the H20 VW community?

WoW!

As a life long VW fanatic with my roots originally in the Aircooled
world, I have recently taken a step back and gazed upon the current
state of the VW community.

I have been on this list over 2 years now and went from reading 100%
of the messages to NOW less than 1% or 1 for every 100 messages.  That
said is this list a reflection of the current VW community?

First off, the funny thing I see is the "Rice Boy" mentality that
everyone was quick to rip on now permeates many Scirocco folks and the
rest of the hobby.  The attitudes are right there with it.

Next, at one point in time most VW folks would bend over backwards to
help another VW guy, and flame wars just did not exist.  Now it seems
(especially in the younger watercooled world) there is alot of
'attitude' and hooray for me and screw you.  What prompts my above
statements are from some of the many VW shows I have been to over the
last year and a half.  Most VW shows as we all know are usually open
to both Air & Watercooled.  The trend I have noticed lately is the
Watercooled people tend to clump together (complete with their baggy
Tommy Hilfiger attire etc), and cop attitudes, think they are the
bomb.  Many crank their earth shaking sound systems and have burnout
wars upon leaving.  Many older VW clubs who were primarly Aircooled
but welcomed the Watercooled cars are now NO LONGER letting the
waterpumpers into shows, and going back to the Vintage stuff.  Sad for
me since I love both.  I too have tried to engauge converstaions on
some trick things I have seen only to be given a nose up attitude.

DON'T GET ME WRONG there are MANY cool people here and out there in
the H20 world.

Did any of that make sense? ;-)

As much as I would love to go to Waterfest (especially to whoop ass in
Auto-X in my Stock class Scirocco-- vs. those who spent a small mint
on suspension kits that are probably mismatched, or they havent worked
on driving skill), I dunno if I would go.  I sure as hell wouldn't be
to blown away by a $40,000.00 Jetta or whatever with an owner with an
attitude (and obviously no financial sense).

Rambling mode off.  It would be nice though if things got back to
technical "how-to" discussions again on this list.  And damn, I swear
some people reply just to "see" themselves "type", if you don't have
substance to add, lurk and learn.

ON THE SCIROCCO subject,

My wife and I did very good this first rookie year in Auto-X.  The
wife took 1st place in our SCCA region and in another region we run
at, besting an Escort ZX2, a Celica, and the Honda Civics!!!!

I managed a 2nd place finish for the season in a field of almost 25
cars in E-Stock, beaten by Honda Civics and a 12yr vetern driver in a
"Randy Walter" classification.  I also took 3rd in the 2nd region we
run in.  Next year I will see how well the 87 Scirocco 16v with
124,000 miles will rank at nationals!

On the 'Technical Side' of the ES Scirocco, those of you looking for
great Auto-X tires or Ultra-High performance tires should check out
KUMHO tires the V700 (autocross compound), and now a few other street
tires.  They STICK IMHO better than BFG R1's.

Keep the rev's up,
==
- -Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan