Shopping time!

Hi guys and gals,

It's time for me to spend more money on my car.  I have thought about
what to do quite a bit lately, and have come to the following
conclusions.  So far, I am running a pretty much garden-variety JH
engine in my '86 with a Supersprint header and exhaust.  The Audi
5000 TB will be going in within a week or so.

The next logical thing seems to be a cam.  I have done quite a bit of
research on this, and feel that the Euro G-Grind is probably the best
thing for me.  This car is a daily driver, so I can't install some
wild race-bred cam that will turn my car into a raging monster.  I
can probably put my hands on a used Euro G-Grind for about $150
Canadian ... Techtonics sells a new Euro G-Grind for $120 American
(part #109 070).  This will work out to about $200 Canadian.  Any
thoughts on which direction I should go here?  Or recommendations on
other cams?  On the topic of cams ... is an adjustable cam sprocket
worth the $90 American?  Probably not with my shitty stock cam, but I
can imagine it would become useful with an upgraded camshaft.

 The euro curve distributor is intruiging, but I just can't muster up
the $400 American for a new one.  Where can I find one of these for
less?

When I do the Audi 5000 TB, I'll be porting and polishing the intake
manifold to match it up to the head.  I can't imagine there is much
else that i can do to the intake - shy of moving the battery to the
trunk and replumbinb the box to give me some sort of cold ram-air
setup.  I can see the advantages of having the battery in the trunk,
and I'll probably be doing that mod before the snow flies ...

Any other ideas for squeezing some more juice out of this engine?  I
will be taking this engine out next summer for a rebuild (it has
250,000 km on it right now, and still pulls strongly ... but by next
summer, I'll be financially ready to "do it"), so I'm a bit hesitant
to do any major head or block work right now.

Cheers,
- -- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver