Pulled over again for window tint (long)

Just thought I'd share my experience today with the local police.
Consider this before tinting your windows.   Some cops care, some don't.  I
used to think it mattered on what part of town I was in, but now I guess
not.  Most state laws don't allow for any decent amount of tinting.
Personally, I'll accept being considered a criminal and pay the extortion
payment, if needed, to keep my tint.  Although next time, I won't tint as
dark....

- ------
On my way to work this morning, one of West Chester's finest pulled me
over.  The general area is middle class and up. I saw him parked on a side
street, and a minute later I saw a car approaching fast.  He was behind me
about a 1/4 of a mile, and I knew he was gonna drill me. As we came up on a
parking lot, he lit 'em up, and I pulled into the lot.

"Good morning sir," I said.

"Good morning.  Do you know how dark your windows are?"  he said.

" Well... Pretty dark," I respond, as he asks me to roll my window up a
little so he can use his meter.  The meter reads 13%.  "Damn," I think to
myself, "the tint has faded 4% since I got pulled over a couple years ago".
 It was 9% when the Cincinnati cop got me.

I explained I'm an enthusiast and show the car, and rarely drive at night,
the only time there might be problems.  I invited him to sit in my vehicle
to see how it is from inside. (he didn't)  I stated that it is about the
same as their K-9 vehicles.  He stated that the problem is when they go up
to a vehicle at "3am and they can't see in."  I responded "My brother is an
officer, so I do understand the concern."  (great quick thinking, I
suprised myself!)

When asked,  I was honest about being cited several years ago for illegal
tint. I'm sure he knew the answer already. He really didn't seem too
excited when I proceeded to recite the entire story of that incident.    He
was VERY nice, and let me go with a warning.  He said it was up to me what
to do about the tint. "To be honest, I'll probably see you tomorrow morning
then.  In Ohio, (with the laws the way they are) you either tint illegal,
or not at all... after owning a tinted vehicle,  I'd never own one that
wasn't tinted."   He said he understood because he used to have a tinted
car.

I thanked him for "his time" and "for being understanding," shook his hand,
and then went on my way with a written warning in hand.   Of course then I
had to speed to get to work so I wouldn't be as late....

I still wonder WHY he bothered to pull me over at 8:45am and just give me a
warning.  My guess is that he was fishing for truent high school students
and thought he might get lucky.    I am lucky he's not a car enthusiast and
didn't notice all the cool euro parts and front German plate.  OR maybe he
is, and DID notice?  Maybe he's waiting til tomorrow?

Too much fun for one day...

Greg :)  ( still love my blacked out Scirocco!!)

Gregory S. Davis
1985 Euro-Spec Scirocco       http://members.iglou.com/scirocco

"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco/gakmotor.htm

- --