Re: Supercharged vs. Turbo

Well, you wouldn't exactly be able to "put one on" a 10:1 CR engine.  If you
want to play around with high compression boosting, a turbo is better for
this.  With a high CR engine, you get good low end torque and with mild boost,
this make a nice flat torque curve and less noticeable turbo lag (if any).  Of
course, the pistons need to be changed to something forged with a really tall
crown for heat dissipation.  So this negates high compression boosting  cause
you might as well get low CR pistons.  Unless of course you think the benefits
of a flat torque curve are worth it.  My ideal setup from my research will be a
9:1 forged pistons(83mm -> 2L bottom) with a G60 supercharger.  SC's give good
low end torque as well, so I don't need high compression for that, but I will
have an amazing engine management system that I'm building and programming
myself that can handle the fuel enrichment and boost retart.  The one benefit
of a 16V is the central location of the spark plug which helps prevent
detonation therefore more spark advance available and more power.
I'm thinking about .8-1.0bar boost is ideal for this application which just
happens to be stock.
Anyways, just my plans for the future..
Ben
1981 Scirocco-S 16V (lives again)