possible strut bearing noise

 OK I think that my strut bearings are worn out. Please help me affirm my
suspicions. The reason that I think they are worn out is that I hear a
clunking noise from my front end. I do not think it is the cv-joints,
since it does not change during turns. It also only manifests itself as
a single -clunk-. This -clunk- is heard both when pulling off from a
stop, and in the middle of slowing down to a stop. The faster I pull
off/harder I break, the louder the noise.
 Does this sound like a strut bearing problem, or something else? If it
is the strut bearings, then is the repair as simple as unbolting the top
of the strut and replacing the bearings, or does the whole strut
assembly need to come out?
Lastly, who is a good supplier of replacement strut bearings?

TIA

Jonas
85 Scirocco

- --