Re: Swapping Engines...HELP!!!

I'll help with what I can... read down for my replies.

Salvatore Guzzo wrote:

> Well,
>
> I finally dropped the old carbed motor out (by myself may I add - it's
> really not all that difficult) but now I have realized that there a number
> of things which I don't know where to hook up or I don't know what they are
> used for.  I'll asked just a few questions for now.  BTW, I will be
> attempting a similar swap in the spring with my 81 Scirocco.
>
> 1)  the car is a 84 Rabbit and the motor is from a 83 Gti.  The extra pipe
> which runs along exhaust downpipe.  Is it found on the fuel inj cars are
> where does it hook up to.

I've never seen this pipe on fuel injected cars.  I've always seen it on carbed
cars. I'd say plug it.

> 2)  should I change the box under the glovebox and how about the unit on
> the driver's side near the wiper motor (what's that for anyways).

The box under the glovebox? You mean the oxy sensor control unit? It's probably
different... you might want to change it.

> 3) do I need to change the coil or is the carb and fuel inj. coils the same.

I THINK they're the same, but I don't know.

> I guess I'll keep it short for now and hopefully I will figure things out.
> I don't want to be without a car for too long.  And to those of you who
> attempted engine swaps, I understand what you guys and gals went through.
> Hopefully when I'm done, it'll start.

That's quite the project! Fuel system and all will have to be changed... I hope
that all of the oxy sensor wiring stuff is there (full throttle switch,
thermoswitch, cold start valve, etc...) could be a PITA. Good luck!
    -Josiah (who is currently putting a Volvo B21-FT Turbo into a 262C Bertone,
having to completely change all of the electronic stuff and fuel stuff... fun..
heh)