RE: Supercharged vs. Turbo

Hmmmm, I see your point, and it's a good one.  It'd be interesting to see
real world HP figures for typical charger vs. turbo applications, and
figures on power losses induced by the induction system itself.

However, apparently there are those that would disagree that turbos give you
free HP.  Nothing is really free is it? :)

To quote (once again) from the Raven book:

"Contrary to popular belief, turbochargers do not make free horsepower.  To
develop boost in a street application, you will see about 2.5 psi of
backpressure for every 1 psi of boost.  At 6 psi of boost, the backpressure
would be 15 psi.  If you try to run that much backpressure on a normally
aspirated motor, it will choke and die.  The turbocharger does not provide
free horsepower, but it does manage to overcome its own drive losses."

:)

- -tim