Re: Relays again

At 12:54 PM 10/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am about to add relays too, and I was told that the relays should be
>positioned as close as possible to the battery, to reduce the length of
>the wire and thus the voltage drop. Any particular advantage to the way
>you set it up? (ie, relays inside car). I apologize if I didn't notice
>it, but the way things are phrased in your page it seems like you have
>the relays under the dash.

  I think my previous reply about relays made it through, but yes, you do
want them as close to the battery and lights as possible. One word of
caution though, is you need to make sure you fuse the 12V from the battery,
and try to make the connections watertight. Larger gauge wire also reduces
the voltage drop.

>(In fact I went to junkyards and got me 2-3 of the relay holders that are
>found in Sciroccos mounted right in front of the battery, for the fan
>relay, in order to mount them next to the fan-relay holder and put the light
>relays in there.)

Thats how I did my current setup. I bought the holders new from Mike
Potter, as the used ones I saw were pretty bad looking. He also tracked
down the washers, screws, and all the parts needed to make it look 100%
factory. This was done for a 2 relay setup. Having done that, I now realize
I want 4 relays, so I can drive higher wattage bulbs. So I'll be mounting
another relay holder(same type) on the passenger side, to run the passenger
side highs and lows seperately.

Brad

- --