RE: valve cover

Cory Fonger wrote:
>if im gonna replace my valve springs and cam im not gonna hafta
>take
>the head off or pull the engine out at all am I?
>
>-cory

  Cory,
  In order to replace the cam, all you have to do is to remove the valve
cover, timing belt, and then the cam "bearings." easy.
  For the valve springs, you have to compress the old valve springs. This
is -traditionally- done by having a special compressor tool press on the
surface of the valve and the spring retainer, then you remove the little
half cylinder "wedges" that keep the spring retainer on and then the
springs are off. Doing this with the head still on would be very
difficult. I do remember that Autotech sells a valve spring compressor
for $130 that claims to allow valve spring removal and installation
without removing the head from the enging. I don't know how this tool
works specifically, but you could ask them. Seems pretty expensive to me
though.
   I have heard of people fabricating an old spark plug into an air
pressure coupler, so that you just hook that up to an air compressor
while it is installed on a cylinder. This would then put enough pressure
on the valve that you could remove the spring and install new ones. I
would turn the crank so the piston was at the top of it's stroke for
that cylinder, just in case you lost pressure, so that the valves
couldn't fall into the cylinder.
  I'm sure others have more helpful input.

HTH

Jonas
'85 'Roc

- --