RE: problems with idle

On Friday, October 09, 1998 11:41 PM, The Smiths
[SMTP:smithsd2@fidalgo.net] wrote:
> Hi, I've got a '78 that has a couple of problems with the idle.  First
> when the car is cold it starts right away but will die if it's not given
> a little help from the gas pedal.  Once it "stabilizes" it idles
> anywhere from 500-900 and threatens to die if you look at it crosseyed.
> Then once it warms up it likes to idle 1500-2500 (or higher).  You can
> get it to idle at about 1000 at a stop if you apply breaks bringing the
> engine almost to a stall before hitting the clutch.  It can be
> interesting driving in town...speeding up, let off the gas and the car
> conitnues to speed up.   Any suggestions??
> Doug

Sounds like a vacuum leak.  Check your intake boots,  especially the one at
the throttle body.  Mine did the same thing when the boot ripped.  It was a
small tear on the underside right where the little tube fits in.

HTH

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop
- --