Re: Front struts...

 Theres much more tension on the front springs than the
>rear, dont try this method on the front stock springs. (it will launch
>your butt over your house!)

yesterday I put some springs in the GLI and I did the rears first with
no drama, and the passenger front with the spring compressor and a
couple of wrenches.
First let me state that NOBODY 'round here has a 22mm deep offset
wrench! Sears, Home Depot, All the auto parts stores... So I just jammed
my normal 22mm in there as best as I could and cranded away with the 7mm
allen socket.
Then I tried the driver side and it was frozen. My neighbor has some air
tools, so I grabbed a 7/8 (close enough- he's only got USA cars), layed
the assembly on the floor, put my foot on the spring and started
impact-wrenching away...

Have you ever known that you were making a mistake while you were doing
it and couldn't make your body stop fast enough?

I forgot to compress the spring.

The strut bearing flew in one direction and the strut flew in another.
the bearing dented his air tank and the strut took a chunk out of the
cement wall.  Thank god I didn't have the assembly in a vice- having
that thing blow straight up would have taken my hands off.

The moral: either use a spring compressor and work carefully, or act
like an asshole, throw caution to the wind, risk hurting yourself and
others, and get the job done faster.  I think I'll take my time next
time...

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen