[Fwd: 16v performance upgrades? (that don't hurt low end power)(longish)]

- --------------------
From: Ben Randolph <bxr140@psu.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Subject: Re: 16v performance upgrades? (that don't hurt low end power)
(longish)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:20:26 -0400
To: rjones@mpc-data.co.uk

rjones@mpc-data.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,

whats up?

> 1. Most head/port jobs for instance increase high end power and lose low
> end though I suspect it is possible if done right to not effect low end
> power or even increase power across the whole rev band. Does anyone do
> a Big valve job for the 16v head?

do NOT get a big valve 16 head.  you will lose low end.  the larger valves
means less air velocity going into the chambers, which (more or less)
translates into less torque at low-rpms.

find someone who knows the 16v head, and has done many 16v heads.  there was a
post recently (from todd @AWE) either here or on the a2-16v list which gave a
real good synopsis of headwork on the 16v.  since i see you are from the UK,
you probably know not of AWE or the 16 list.  lemme know if you want me to dig
that up.

> 2. Increasing displacement is a costly option and one I have considered as
> this generally improves the bottom end pull.

yes, it is very costly.  and probably not worth your time, unless you are very
determined to get the most out of your motor.

i recently decided to not work my 2l block (i have one in my garage) because
of the costs of what i wanted to do.  i do still have alot of information, so
if you want any/all, lemme know.

> 3. Turbos
> 4. Superchargers

a friend of a friend recently wrapped up a 2l 16v turbo.  according to my
friend, the 16v walked away from an S1 g60. (stage 3+)  however, the guy
completely custom did the turbo, and he said the parts cost ~$4k.

as a sidenote, this was his 'prototype' setup (dunno if he is going to try to
market it) and as such, it was thrown into a beater golf.  he had to cut out
some of the firewall to make room for the turbo, and if you opened up the
glovebox, the turbo was visible.

i didnt see it, so i dont know if i got the story right.

> 5. How about a K-Star load/speed/ignition mapping device which effectively
>    gives your 16v a chip?

i dont know of anyone over here who has installed one of those setups.  since
it is a [UK?] product, it doesnt get too much coverage/publicity over here.

> To summarise "What should modifications should I go for that keep low end
> power or keep that loss to a minimum"

get a 2.25 stainless exhaust system with mandrel bends, and dont get a header.

a set of 260 degree cams should do you right.  (268's may hurt the low end a
little too much.)

headwork done by the right person should be an excellent upgrade.

this is me theorizing, so i might just be talking out my ass...but...dont you
have larger intake runners than the US 16v's?  i would think that if you got a
smaller US manifold, you would have more air velocity at lower rpm's, and
therefore a little more power.  anyone wanna comment on that?

by all means, dont skimp on the suspension.  (but dont wast your money on
coil-overs like all those euro rice-boys do in 'The Golf.')

hope this helps at least a little

ben randolph
87 16v gti
eagerly awaiting the marriage of itself, and the 2l block it parks next to...

- --part0_908249308_boundary--
- --