Re: Intermittant loss of power when accelerating

Assuming your car is an '86 model, I have had a very similar problem,
usually when the fuel is below 1/3 of a tank.  I'm not sure exactly waht
the cause was but I replaced the fuel pump, which was pretty noisy, and
I also took the lifter pump out of the tank and the mesh screen filter
was pretty clogged.  There's every chance that either the clogged filter
was making it too difficult for the lifter pump to pump enough fuel when
the tank is low or that the lifter pump itself was on the way out - I
just replaced the whole assembly with a secondhand one.  If I had had
more time, I would have cleaned the lifter and put it back with my old
fuel pump, to try and pin down the problem.  The problem has now gone.
Note that if you do replace the lifter assembly, it has to be one from
an FI car,  as the carb versions do not have the pump.  I think also
that MKI and early MKII FI tanks do not have the lifter pump - that is
certainly the case in the UK.

Cheers,

Ewan.
'85 2.0 Stsorm
'86 1.8 GT

>Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 00:45:07 +0000
>From: Michael Ravnitzky <mikerav@ix.netcom.com>
>To: scirocco-l@cricket.privatei.com
>Subject: Intermittant loss of power when accelerating
>
>My 86 MK1 often loses power when accelerating, often when turning a
>corner and accelerating out of a corner from a stop.  It is a noticable
>loss of power, having nothing to do with the engine characteristics.
It