Re: the continuing cold start valve saga (solved, I think)

Heh... no, mine's an 8v. I figured it out. My thermo switch was screwy, so the
cold start valve was only operating tentatively. Now I have a good time
thermoswitch. What I didn't understand was why the thermoswitch had a terminal
50 wire on it. Now I understand- it's to heat up the thermoswitch so that the
ground goes away when you crank the starter too long.
It is all clear to me now! (in case anyone cares)

So, is this right? :
1. The cold start valve operates when it gets positive current from one side
(terminal 50) and is grounded out by the time thermoswitch on the other side.
2. The thermoswitch green/white wire is grounded to the block when cold,
floating when hot.
3. The thermoswitch white/red wire is there to activate the electrical heating
element in the thermoswitch so that it will heat up and cut off the ground to
the cold start valve when you crank the starter too long. This is to keep the
engine from flooding.

I think we should write to Bentley and tell them of this mistake. My Bentley
has it all wrong, too. Brian, is yours correct? (Mine is old as well- made in
'83, it covers '80-'83 Rabbit/Scirocco/Jetta including Pickup Truck,
Convertible, and GTI). Maybe they already fixed it at some point.

I'm glad to be all clued in now, and thanks to Brian and Andre for helping me
out! (Now I can truly understand that fuel enrichment module thingy)...
    -Josiah