Thermo Switch

Hmmm... my Bentley seems to disagree with itself, and it's an old one,
so I thought maybe someone with a newer one could help me out. To begin
with, I'm talking about the thermo switch on the coolant hose that goes
back to the heater core... There are two terminals on it. Is there
supposed to be continuity when the coolant is hot, or when the coolant
is cold? My Bentley says that if there is no continuity when the coolant
is hot, then you should check the thermoswitch. Then it goes on to say,
under the section for checking the thermoswitch, that there should be
continuity when the engine is cold, and no continuity when the engine is
hot. Huh. Can somebody clear this up for me?
    TIA,
    -Josiah (who's been spending the best part of the last two days
rewiring his engine compartment because whoever did the engine swap
didn't know what they were doing)

- --