Re: Xenon bulbs / U.S. spec lights

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone used the new H4 replacement Xenon bulbs?  My lights are
>pretty poor.  I haven't got round to bypassing the fusebox,etc, with
>additional relays, which would make a difference, but I was just
>wondering what milage there is in upgrading to these bulbs.

AFAIK, There is no such thing as Xenon bulbs. The Lincolns and the BMWs
you see with those pretty blue lights have an *extremely* complicated
lighting system that uese several thousand volts to ignite a gas. The
gas gets so hot, It actually gets brighter after about 5 mins of
driving. To put it in perspective how expensive a HID light system is...
a set of HID foglights (like the rally cars) costs up toward the
$1200.00 mark.

Those bulbs that you're calling the Xenon bulbs, are just normal bulbs
with a bluish covering on them. My friend had a pair in his 16v for
about 30 mins. before he took them out and gave them away. They do not
promote better lighting, they actually make it worse.

Someone had a wonderful link that they submitted a few weeks ago. Read
that page before you buy....

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen