new tranny part deux

We took it to the dealer because we have only ever had good service there
and we've not been to any local vw shops, so don't even know where to go.
Dealer called back and said he found a used tranny from a totalled car, for
$755 plus about 6 hours to make about $1100 in total, is this an OK way to
go? Totalled car had 70,000 miles on it and the tranny would be warrantied
for a whole 30 days!

thanks for all the responses so far

ian

PS is converting to a manual transmission a viable option, since we bought
it I've managed to re teach my wife how to drive a 'stick'

- --