Re: 16V upgrade opinions, please.

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998 18:08:13 -0800 Riley McDowall <mcm@intergate.bc.ca>
writes:

>This comes up every now and again when discussion turns to 16v intake
>runners.  Didn't Ryan say once that Extrude Hone refused to do our
intakes
>because their process didn't work well with our aluminum manifolds?
>Something about them not willing to be liable if they honed holes in
>some of the thinner sections?

A while ago I knew somebody who had a dyno and needed a subject to do a
dyno run with a stock A1 intake manifold, and another run with an Extrude
Honed intake manifold for a magazine article.

I had an extra intake manifold and was willing to let him send it to EH
for the machine work. I asked him then about this topic and he told me
that EH wont refuse to do the honing, they just let you know that if they
do try to extrude hone a manifold and the manifold breaks or is damaged,
its not their liability. It seems that used manifolds are a little more
brittle than new manifolds. Thats what he told me anyways.

I would gues that this is the same for 16V manifolds too? I've seen some
runners like the 16V's that have been extrude honed so it would seem that
they can do it. Alot of it also has to do with how much material is
wished to be removed.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and