Nackered Alternator

Hi chaps
This week my alternator has decided to take a floopy and only charges the
battery sometimes   however when it is it is only charging at 13v  i think
it should be about 13.8v  am i correct?
Anyway i was thinking about having a look at it myself   as i am electrician
to trade but unfortunatly never had alot of dealings with this type of kit
before  if any of you can give me some advice i would be gratefull

I got a quote for a reconditioned one from Lex VW  £100  +vat   lol
They must think that we are all made of money............

Lindsay (scooby) Campbell
lcampbell@zetnet.co.uk
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/scooby/
92' Scala 1.8i