Re: Broken Exhaust Stud Removal

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 01:44:26 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:

>How do I, and what do I need to buy to, back a broken stud out of my
>eng
>block? ( I
>didn't do it, honest. )
>
>It is below the surface on the block and I only discovered it when I
>pulled the engine.  :[
>
>tia,
>TBerk

There is a tool called an "easy out". You will need to drill it out a
portion of the broken stud (or bolt whatever) and this tool sometimes
will allow you to remove the remaining stud without having to machine the
block. Sometimes people break the easy out in the block, this sucks when
this happens. if its not comming out, then you need to drill the next
size hole. Sometimes you have to droll out almost all of the stud before
you can get the easy out to work. Then sometimes you drill out the whole
stud and you retap the hole for a larger size stud.
Anyways, I need some coffee this morning....... and more turkey!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and