Eng. Swap - Why won't it start cont.

This is shamlessly stolen from www.volkswagen.org's engine swap archives. I
had forgot about this place until I was looking up some references for a guy
on the watercooled newsgroup. Good stuff, check it out.

Context disclaimer: This is a short piece of a well detailed story, it
involves a guy's double cab and a donor engine from a fox. But, the principals
are the same so.

hth,
TBerk

Quote mode ON:

May 2 - After purchasing a new battery I proceeded to see if things would fire
up. They didn't... It turns over just fine but no
vroom! This has happened to me before when I have done engine swaps so I
decided to go in a grab some lunch seeing
how it is 30C out side. I grabbed the trust Bentley manual to see what it had
to say for trouble shooting CIS. The first thing
I checked was the 5th injector. No fuel, so I did the electrical tests. 12V
when cranking? Yes. Is there fuel pressure? Yes. I
replaced the 5th injector figuring it was faulty - still nothing. Then I
stared to see if there was ground to complete the
connection. None... so, next in line after the 5th injector is the thermal
time switch. This is a relay that senses how how the
coolant is. If the coolant is hot (indicating a warm engine) then the relay
will be open causing the 5th injector (AKA cold
start injector) not to spray fuel. I then proceeded to bypass the thermal time
switch and the engine fired right up. I figured
at this point that the thermal time switch was faulty. So I started to replace
it. No coolant was in the pipe until about 2
seconds after I removed it. There was an air lock in the system and the
thermal time switch was not submerged in coolant
and therefore gave a false reading. After the air was bled from the system and
the engine was cold, it started right up
again. Pretty simple problem when it comes right down to it! Timing was done
by ear and the engine seems to run quite
smoothly albeit VERY loud seeing how there is only 30cm of exhaust pipe on the
system.

END: