RE: Thanks, and here's another question!

David,

I wish I knew a lot on misfirings, but alas I don't. But I'll try to help
you anyway (the blind leading the blind?)

I notice you have freshened up your fuel delivery and spark systems, but
have you checked your timing lately? How long has your car been
backfiring? Did anything happen before that might have caused it? I know
that when the timing belt is loosened, the ignition timing is advanced.
I think that if you have too much advance, then you will backfire. (not
sure, check with someone more knowlegable). So if someone before you had
the timeing set to way advance (but within limits) and then someone else
changed the timing belt, but didn't tighten it the same, and didn't
check the timing, then you could end up with a really advanced timing
(beyond limits).
  In any case, check the timing, and also the condidtion of your timing
belt, it might be time to replace.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco