Re: Front wheel bearings.

Wow, thats pretty funny cuz i just got done putting new wheel bearings in
yesterday! My fronts started very quietly howling about 1 month ago and
slowly got louder and louder. when the machine shop pressed them out
yesterday, i had to replace the hub on the side that was really bad. The
hardest part of the whole job was getting those stupid tierods out of the
steering knuckle!! ARGH! But i did it. it took 3 hours to pull both hubs
off, and about 4 hours to put everything back again (going really slowly,
cleaning all the parts up and stuff)
The bearings were 17 each, the new hub was 21 bux, and the machine shop
dude only charged me 40 bucks for both sides. About 100 total and 7 hours

not a really hard job though

At 10:05 AM 11/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know about how long I can go on a wheel bearing that's begun to
>howl?  I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get fixed, but I need to know if
>it's safe to drive the car today.  It just started making noise Friday, and
>it's already to a pretty good howl.  I don't know if that helps or not.  TIA
>
>Jerry Daugherty
>87 8V
>

>--

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S -- Now with JH power!
      San Diego, CA
"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
with ten fingers and ten toes."