Battery light

Anyone care to explain possible causes for the battery light to be on?   It lights up on
cold start, then, as I rev the engine up past 1300 it shuts off and stays off.
The battery I have is not the stock amperage.   Something just under 700, not the 550 that
I think is recommended (-20 temps kill baterries).   I know, I know, I've heard that the
battery needs to have a certain amperage to keep the alternator happy, but... (-20 temps
kill baterries).