Re: [non-Scirocco] S2000 + high specific output

At 03:54 AM 11/10/98 EST, you wrote:
>I'd think you'd have a wider band and better 'tractor-bility' with the
greater
>number of cylinders. Harder to do with half the number. V-12 anyone?

Not always true. The most gutless peaky bike engine with no low end are 4
cylinder inline engines. And yet V4s seem to be pretty strong. Mines an
inline 3, and both inline and V twins usually have gobs of torque, at the
expense of high end power. My 3 has about the best of both. But in general
the # of cylinders isn't nearly as important as other factors.
   One key to making power everywhere is a good head/intake. One that can
flow plenty at high RPM, yet at low RPM, the velocity doesn't drop so low
to kill the power. VTEC helps with this. But there are even better systems.
Using a desmodromic head(has seperate cam lobes which open and close the
valves, so there is no valve spring), I have talked with people who have
prototype heads which have almost infinitely variable lift, timing, and
duration. On prototype engines, it produces power where normally there is
none. It will be great, if it ever gets picked up by a major manufacturer
and produced.Using this, or solenoid operated valves would be a way to get
MAJOR power and an incredibly broad torque curve out of most any engine
design.