instrument lights

here's the situation:  the other day i was feeling behind my lower console
for any loose wires going to the temperature gauge because i wasn't getting
a light there and i knew the bulb was fine.  i guess i moved something
because when i turned on the lights i saw smoke coming from that area and
none of the instrument panel lights worked.  everything else works:
headlights, instruments.

please correct me if i'm wrong in any of my assumptions, for i'm not an
expert electrician nor mechanic.  i checked the bentley to find that there
isn't a fuse for that circuit.  however, i followed the circuit diagram and
found continuity from the wire leading off the instrument panel lights
dimmer switch to the actual bulbs.  when i check for continuity on the
switch from the battery lead prong to the dimmer prong, i got no continuity
(infinite resistance) no matter what the position of the switch.  does that
mean that i need a new switch?  or should i be checking other things?

thanks for any help.  i appreciate it greatly!

~ed
1987 16v