strange road noise from my 'rocco

	I've had this strange howling sort of noise coming from the front end of
my rocco for about a month, and i cant figure it out! It happens at 45+mph
and gets louder the faster i go. It's independent of engine speed, or gear
so i figure it has to be the differential or after(driveshafts, wheel
bearings..) It doesn't really sound like wheel bearings however.
	It sounds like the regular noise the tires make on the road, just
amplified. It's pretty noticvable w/ the radio off just cruising at 65 and
I can't remember ever hearing it before.

	It seemed to come about a few weeks after i put the new engine in. (new
tranny fluid, one new driveshaft, and i torqued the wheel nut probably a
little more than 160ft/lbs, but not much more. If i overtighten the nut
will the bearings make noise at me??

I've driven the car with my old BFG/13 inch wheels when the noise 'started'
or i started noticing it, and i just put on my Yoko A509 15's and the noise
didn't change noticably. Please help!! :)
I've taken the car up to about 120-125 with no ill effects, but the tires
are a little out of balance so the steering shimmys a bit.
I've had CV's go bad plenty of times, and it doesn't sound like that.

ALSO, I've noticed at high speeds, usually w/ fully throttle that the
engine noise (i think) comes in waves. sorta like when you go over those
huge waves in the freeway, but it's flat. hmm. I think they're related.

Could this also happen if i overfilled my tranny max 3 oz's??? i dont think
so but... i have a bad feeling it's wheel bearings or the differential, cuz
those are about the only things i haven't replaced on the car!

--
Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S -- Now with JH power!
      San Diego, CA