Re: I'm back(dirt racing)

I am glad to see I was missed.  Guess I can start  where I left
off, talking about the dirt cars.

I'm not sure where to start.  Actually I do know.  What mods are you
allowed to make to the car.  The track I run at calls for stock
suspension and stock drivetrain.  This makes it tough to make changes
without getting caught.

You will need to take about 1 3/4 turns out of the front springs.
Once the car is stripped out, it is too light for the suspension.

Deffinitely weld the differential.  Having a "locked rear" is all the
difference in the world for handling, control, and being able to put
the power down.  Just be rear careful when turning slowly, like in
the paddock and grid areas.  I broke six CV joints last year, and not
one of them was on the track.

While you have the tranny out, get the flywheel lightened.  This is
worth some big time coming off the corners.  We have two identical
cars, and the one with the flywheel accelerates quicker, believe me.
I have a good contact for this in Philadelphia, he lightens it in
such a way that you can't tell by looking at it, unless you have a
stock one laying next to it.

Lots of camber, as much as you can negative on the outside and
positive on the inside.  And put in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch toe out.
This will change almost everytime you smack into another car, so
re-adjust it after every race.

This is a small list of ideas, if you have any other questions, feel
free to ask.  I am on the digest mode of this list, so I will
respond the next day.

> From:          "Jamie and Susan" <spurlock@itiseasy.com>
> To:            <phillyscca@enter.net>
> Subject:       Re: I'm back
> Date:          Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:42:57 -0400

> Hello Ken,
>
>          My name is jamie and am planning to dirt track one of my Sciroccos.
> Can you give me any ideas for suspension work for an oval track.  I would be
> running against some Cellicas,  Chevettes,  and a couple of Omnis.  I tried
> to contact you before but never got a response,  now I know why (I guess you
> weren't on the list.)  Anyway,  Mark Potter told me about you.
> Jamie Spurlock
> 81 Scirocco S (Daily Drive)
> 81 Scirocco (future Dirt Rocket)
> 85 Golf GTi  (For Sale 1500.00)
> 94 Golf lll (Family Car)
Ken Buck
Philadaelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chair
78 DSP VW Scirocco regional champ 94, 95, 97
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway
Rusty 78 Scirocco daily driver
(2) '80 Sciroccos- project cars- for sale
- --