[1.8JH Swap][Clue]

Hello all,

I have another update to my ongoing saga.  I was sitting at my car last
night, looking, looking, thinking and thinking some more.  I started
thinking about my vacuum setup.  Since I went to electronic ignition I had
to seal off the vacuum line from the booster to the distributor which
controlled the retard timing (or is it advance).  I also noticed that
attached to the vacuum booster (the thing with all the different colored
vacuum lines coming out of it) also has a little "whatchamakalit" with two
openings bolted to the booster.  Attached to this whatchamakalit are some
electrical wires going somewhere.  Also, before the swap, I had vacuum
hoses going from this whatchamakalit to the intake manifold and the other
one went somewhere else, I can't quite remember.  Now that I have done the
swap, I also blocked off both lines coming from this whatchamakalit.

So, can someone please tell me what this is and is it necessary for my car
to start and if so, what do I connect the vacuum lines to?

John
80 Scirocco S

- --