Re: please gimme some adivce! :)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:01:45 aventari <aventari@cts.com> writes:
>I'm rebuilding a JH motor for my 81 Scirocco S, and i need some
>advice.

OK, since nobody offered any, i'll toss in a few "helpful" comments. Or
not.

>I was also thinking of polishing the combustion camber and tops of the
>piston. Anyone done this or have any advice on doing it?

You CAN do it but theres not much performance gain in our low compression
motors.

>And what kind of cam spocket should i get? cheaper the better?

Sounds like you need to shop around. Try and find a used one for sale.
(HINT- HINT -->Pottermans web page.)

>and I'm getting new 'Badger' pistons from the machine shop. Anyone
>heard of these?

Nope, sorry.

>Oh yeah, I'm gonna use Total Seal gapless rings. Anyone ever tried these
>before? I've heard they work good any other motors (ie. no problems)

I've heard nothing but good things aboutthese rings. I just might have to
get me aset of these for the GLi.

>One more thing. I'm using the 210mm clutch(stock 210 flywheel), and I
taked
>to techtonics, and he said that they have a good 210 kit. It's a
pressure
>plate from a 2.0l 16v mated to a stock 210 disk. Any thoughts?

Call the Potterman, he will probably have a better price than TT. FYI

>And the machine shop (HDS in Escondito) is going to balance the rotating
>mass as an assembly. the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, and cluch.
>whew! Any comments/help would be appreciated. It's about 1 month from
being
>in my 'rocco! the original 190,000 mile 1.7 is showing signs of wear to
say
>the least. 2 head gaskets in 5 months.
>
>Kevin 'Boy Racer' Fry
>81 Scirocco S

Sounds good. I cant wait to see/hear it!
Then are you gonna FINALLY come out to the Staduim and race me?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and