Re: Off-topic El Nino musing

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Shawn C Meze wrote:

> Well, according to dr. ????? who was just interviewed about the whole
> thing, he is the person who discovered and named the weather phenomenon
> back in the 80's. He's the chief authority on "El Nino" ect..ect.
> According to him, the El Nino effect is over for now. Saying El Nino is
> GONE is like saying it will never snow in Denver again. What I should if
> said is for this season, el Nino has completed its cycle and wont effect
> our weather again until next summer/fall. (Kinda like Hurricane season.
> Comes and goes.)

NOAA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory don't appear to agree with Dr. ????...
:)

The various temperature readings taken lately of the area off the coast of
Peru still show a fairly dramatic difference in temperature - lower than
the latest peak, but still high.  In other words, waning - but not done
affecting weather elsewhere.  This is not to say that El Nino is going to
destroy us all - however...

> All of these weather anomalies happening now are regular winter storms
> from the artic! So, don't believe the hype of El Nino. Its not all that.

The latest weirdness - mainly the weather system whose northern tip caused
the ice storms in Canada and the NE US (the southern portion is causing
floods in the SE US) - is, in fact, attributed to El Nino.  However, hype
is the word I would use for the Bay Area warnings - most of those *were*
media over-developed.

Isn't it fun to argue using other peoples' research? :)

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/