Re: initial rough idle when coming to a stop

Then Paul wrote:
>Confirm operation of the O2 sensor and the fuel mixture. If this also
>occurs when cold, check for vacuum leaks, don't forget the injector seals.

Now I'm writing:
Okay... almost the same thing has been happening on my 87 16v.  It doesn't
happen all the time, but it does seem to be getting gradually worse.  When
the engine is allowed to return to idle, it drops to 500 or so, and quickly
jumps back to its mormal 900 or so.  It usually happens when I'm in a gear,
trailing throttle, and around 1500rpm.  When I hit the clutch, it just
seems like it's too slow to catch itself.
	Someone on the list is always bitching about the 02 sensor (and its
removal), so I figured I'd ask you all before I BRING IT IN to have it
done.  The car has 39,000 miles on it, and I'm expecting the 02 light to go
on any day now anyways... could it be that VW was right... they do only
last 40k miles?  It occurs cold and warm, don't think I have any vacuum
leaks, and the injector seals are new.
	Help?  TIA.
			Jason