upshift indicator comes on in 5th gear

On my recent trip I noticed this slightly annoying (esp at nite)
little problem.

 When cruising in 5th the upshift indicator comes on.  It appears to
be working exactly as it should if it were in a lower gear, it's just
that it's not supposed to come on in 5th.  I noticed in the Bentley
that there's some sort of device under the dash that controls this
function.  Anyone ever replace this and have an idea of cost?

I know I've read where guys have simply removed to yellow led.  This
might be the best fix, as I think I can figure out when to shift my
car :)  Or maybe the car really wants a 6 speed tranny........not!

I'm also wondering if there could be some sort of vacuum leak, as
most shift indicators operate with some sort of vacuum reading
feedback.

I think there might have been some sort of discussion on this on the
list recently, possibly just before I unsubbed to leave for vacation.
If so, if someone has these posts saved, could you forward them to me
off list to save everyone the pain of rehashing this?  Thanks !!

Rick
rsl@kendra.com
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg